Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADDED Memory RAM - Not sure performance increased 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

officework13

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
CA
I have a P3 866 mhz with 128 megs Ram and am running Win ME.

i wanted to increase my cpu performance so i could run several programs at once. IE outlook, excel, word and Kazaa or windows media player. However my cpu runs very slow so our local computer store suggest that i upgrade my RAM so i added 256M of ram but have not really noticed any increased performance. Was that just a hoax to get a sale. maybe i should have asked before i bought.

Howdy:

Can tell you the bulk of your problem just by what you posted: Kazaa

It is nothing but a portal for spy and adware products..

Strongly suggest you download, install and run a program called Ad-Aware. Delete EVERYTHING it finds including Kazaa !!

It should make a very noticeable improvement !!

Murray

With ME 128MB will allow you to run a fair few programs optimally - so no, I wouldn't expect the extra 256MB to make a difference (unless, for example you had dozens of IE windows runnings as separate processes open).

As to Kazaa - Murray's probably right - I use Kazaa Lite now (all the adware & spyware removed).

Windows Media player is also a noted resource hog.

Have you considered upgrading to XP? (it will like 384MB RAM, and uses resources better than ME).

PS. You would not improve cpu performance with more RAM - but you might improve the machine's performance. Cpu will not be running slow, the machine is - and that could be down to a number of things (like unnecessary programs loading at startup and running continually in the background).

Another thing you might try, is downloading and installinh either system mechanic (iolo.com) or easy cleaner (do a search on google). Install either or both and run them. They will help clean up unneccessary files along with cleaning the registry. After running one or both programs, do a scandisk and defrag on your HD. Also move your swap file from the c: directory to some other place. I have approx 100 Gig of space and set up a 1 Gig partition just fopr the swap file. Works well and yes I am using WinME, along with Win2K and Linux. Performance with ME isn't to bad with 256 Megs of RAM. You just need to keep your system trim, get rid of all the junk you don't need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back