Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Added 2nd HDD - Drive letter changes after reboot!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookey

Technical User
Feb 6, 2003
EU
Hello,

I have installed a second hard disk drive in my nt4 workstation tower. I have assigned it o: under windisk. After rebooting the drive appears as f: instead.!!
How can I make it stay at o: under nt4 (sp6a).??
Plus the machine also has a cd drive(d)and a (e)cd re/writer too.??

Thanks

Try using NT's own tool - Disk Administrator (Start/programs/Administrative Tools).

I have already tried administrator tools (windisk) which lets you assign drive letters etc, but once they have been set they still change (revert) to f: instead of retaining o:
So I still have the problem.
Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Sorry - don't understand - what's 'windisk'?

If its another name for Disk Administrator, I've not heard of it. If you use Disk Administrator (ie, NT's own tool, not third party software), it should prompt you to save the settings when you've finished. I've never had any problems with it keeping the drive settings after I've done this.

Windisk IS Disk Administrator. If you type windisk in Start, Run you will see you get the same thing.
Anyway, I'm still having the problem!!!

Sorry - only been using NT for 6 years & didn't know windisk was Disk Administrator! After you change the drive letter, does it come up with the 'Changes have been made to you disk configuration. Do you want to save the changes?' prompt when you exit?

If it doesn't, what about the save & restore configuration options? (I've never actually used them). You could save config after you've set it to O: (to floppy), reboot & then restore from floppy (don't know if it would 'take' any better).

After assigning the drive letter under Disk administrator, right click on it again and select commit changes. That should set the new drive letter assignment.

Yes, I did that yesterday before I read your message and it worked. Thanks for all the advice. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back