Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add XP to 2nd drive in machine with W2K and CRASH only on W2k!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidJoshua

IS-IT--Management
Nov 18, 2001
US
The bottom line problem is a blue screen of death crash when booting Windows 2000 SP3.

Here's how I got there:

1. Everything was working perfectly in W2K on my single 80GB drive, but I wanted to learn XP
2. I bought a second 80GB drive and put it in and configured and formatted it under W2K and set it up as Drive D:
3. I have CDR, DVD, DVD-RAM, and a CompactFlash RAMDISK so the new drive was originally J:, but I moved things around to make it D:
4. That drive when I put in it worked great first time. Wrote the signature, format (NTFS), showed up with 79GB free.
5. Rebooted several times, everything was fine.
6. Went to install XP. During installation, it said that it couldn't install on D:, and that I had to delete and recreate the partition.
7. When I went to delete the partition, it warned me that I would lose all data on all partitions on THAT drive, but since it was empty, I went ahead.
8. Created a new partition. Quick format, installed XP.
9. Installed a bunch of programs on XP like Office XP, etc. and then decided to test the dual boot.
10. Now the problems began. I got the blue line 99% to the right during the boot sequence, and then crash with "an attempt was made to write to Read Only Memory"
11. Tried several times but it was consistent
12. Spent the rest of the day finishing to install under XP which worked great.
13. Came back to the W2K problem. Tried Safe Mode and Debug Mode and got "Page Fault in Non-Paged Area - NTOSKRNL.EXE"
14. W2K just wouldn't boot no matter what, so I tried disconnecting the new harddrive.
15. Lo and behold it booted fine. Plugged it back in. Crash. Unplugged it. Loads fine. Moved drive G: to become drive D:, didn't help.

So to sum up. When the new drive is in, I can boot XP fine and all is ok, but I can't boot W2K. With the new drive out, I can boot W2K?

Any thoughts or ideas on this would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

David

Have you tried to "repair" your win2k installation?

Imatthec - Hi. Yes.

Here's some more info I neglected to add to the above.

I tried to repair by booting from the W2K CDROM and use the emergency disk. It said that it made some repairs, but the result was the same.

I tried to repair with the console, and noticed that it thought that the new hard drive was drive d: still, and that it could be accessed.

One more note. The reason that it couldn't use the original partition on drive D: it said, was because it was a dynamic drive.

I think that's it! Hope it helps!

Thanks in advance!

David

i think the reason that your newly partioned drive couldn't be used was because of the SID (security ID) If you format a drive under 2k or XP it will put that systems SID into the filesystem, so it can be used for protecting ACL resources.

so when you try to install a new os it will find an sid from another system and not let you install xp onto it (this only seems to be an issue in xp)

not sure if that helps much, but it could be relevent

Nick,
I would buy that, though the reason it gave was something about it being a dynamic drive.

Let's assume you are correct. Any ideas about how to repair the crashes?

Thanks!

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back