Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

add X11 to existing RH Enterprise box 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

goBoating

Programmer
Feb 8, 2000
US
Hello all,
I have a RH Enterprise box that was setup without X11 and Gnome (or KDE). We have a new sys-admin coming onboard and I'd like to add X11 plus a desktop to the machine to give her a GUI environment. The question:"What is the easiest way to get that stuff installed?"

RPM will work, but, I'm not sure what packages to add and in what order.

Or, I could boot off of the install CD and do an 'upgrade' instead of install and select it that way.

Or, what? It seems that booting off of the CD would be fairly straight forward and quick, but, not having done it I don't know what "gotcha's" I'm failing to anticipate.

Ideas? Comments?

Thanks in advance

'hope this helps

If you are new to Tek-Tips, please use descriptive titles, check the FAQs, and beware the evil typo.

As a starting point, get xorg and any window manager throught 'yum', detailes i cant give cause i dont run fake enterprise linux stuff.

. Mac for productivity
.. Linux for developement
... Windows for solitaire

RHEL4 uses Xfree86; RHEL4 uses X.org.

One way to find out is to look at the comps.xml file in the RedHat/base directory of, as I recall, CD 1.

I'd suggest 'grep -v xml\:lang comps.xml > myfile' and looking at myfile; it's a pain with the languages in there if you're an English-speaker.

You can then look at the groups and see what packages need to be installed, then just install them from the CD or via 'up2date -install packagename'

Yes, it might be easier to do an upgrade installation from CD, but I haven't done that either.

Thanks for the responses. I'll play around with it a little and post what ever solution we end up employing.

'hope this helps

If you are new to Tek-Tips, please use descriptive titles, check the FAQs, and beware the evil typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back