Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

add windows component 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luckyfour

Technical User
Feb 7, 2000
CA
I tried to delete messenger through add/remove programs and ended up with IE, Outlook Express and the internet connection gone. So, I did restore and it did OK but all of my games are gone (it says empty). I've looked at Help topics but the fact that, for windows components, the add and remove functions are incorporated (and the games are ticked which makes it look like they're there when they aren't makes me nervous). I'm afraid that if I put the XP CD in, and click to add, it's going to remove programs again. Do you tick or untick or what do you do? Does anyone know how to add the XP games back from the CD? I guess that's what you do. I don't want to risk losing everything again. Thanks in advance.

I can only suggest you go back in to Windows Components and uncheck all the various games listed there. Close the various windows and let Windows do its thing.

After it has finished go back in to Windows Components and this time check all the games you want and then let Windows install them.

If I remember correctly you shouldn't even need the CD but I could be wrong about that.

Have you looked in the System32 folder to see if your game exes are still in there, things like mshearts.exe, sol.exe, or in Program Files\Windows NT\Pinball\PINBALL.EXE?

Copies of all the games will be on the XP CD.

How to expand Windows XP files from the installation disk

Try some of these to combat Messenger.

302089 - How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer

327390 - Windows Messenger Starts When You Start Outlook Express After You Remove Access to

How To uninstall Windows Messenger completly from your computer
faq779-1380

The other method to uninstall it completely,
Go to Start > Run, then type in this and run it. (one Line)

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Thank you Linney! Got my games back without causing computer problems (e.g. still have everything on my computer) I'd give you 5 stars if I could. My correspondence to Microsoft about this issue is not going well. I'll try the Messenger thing when my internet provider's strike is over in case I run into any problems. Thanks again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back