Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add vCPU to existing W2K8R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

disturbedone

Vendor
Sep 28, 2006
AU
We have 2x W2K8R2 DCs with 1x vCPU. We have a need to increase this to at least 2x vCPU to solve an issue.

I shutdown the DC, edited the settings (as I've done with vRAM many times before) but this time it gives me a warning that the VM might not work correctly because the OS is already installed.

I suspect this is a bit over the top as I've heard of other people doing this.

Any advice?

You can change it to 2 cpu's but once you boot it you will need to update the HAL to ACPI Multiprocessor. Google it, you will see its pretty easy.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

You shouldn't need to update the HAL on a 2008 R2 server. That was only needed for 2003 and older.

The warning you are seeing from vmware is because of the older guests. 2008 R2 will function just fine changing the number of cpus.

have done it myself on 4x 2k8 VM's, the host has 2x quad core cpus so I changed each machine frm one to two vcpus after installing the OS and also setup cpu affinity for each of the VM's. Didn't have any issues and they're still running (sql) ok at the moment, touch wood.

Biglebowskis Razor - with all things being equal if you still can't find the answer have a shave and go down the pub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back