Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

add -t to syslog init, restart syslog cause reboot, port still visible

Status
Not open for further replies.

csgonan

MIS
May 2, 2007
US
I have 2 Solaris 8 servers running on identical hardware except for the amount of memory. The software is not the same for patches (see below).

I wanted to turn off remote syslog (port 514) so I changed /etc/init.d/syslogd by adding a -t at syslogd start, and ran init.d/syslog stop and start. Server #1 restarted without issue and the port is not longer visible in netstat -an. For server #2, I immediately lost connectivity and the server rebooted itself. My file systems required a fsck and the port is still visible in netstat -an. What could cause this and why is the port still visible.

Any help would be appreciated.

DIFF -

< /usr/sbin/syslogd -t >/dev/msglog 2>&1 &
---
> /usr/sbin/syslogd >/dev/msglog 2>&1 &

1) SunOS hccssun5 5.8 Generic_117350-50 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440

2) SunOS hccssun5 5.8 Generic_117350-44 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440

I discovered why the port is still visible but do not know why the server rebooted. The port is visible because I made the change to init.d/syslog and someone removed the symbolic link in rc2.d/S74syslog to init.d/syslog.

Why do you think the server rebooted?

Are there any clues in /var/adm/messages from just before the reboot?

I hope that helps.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back