Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add second printer port 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

biker900

MIS
Jul 17, 2001
AU
I have been asked to add a second ISA printer port to a PC running Win NT Server 4. In Win98 there is the "Add New Hardware" option in control panel, but there is no such icon listed under NT4. I have not used NT before so can someone please tell me how I can accomplish such a seemingly simple task?

HI.

First, make sure you install hardware correctly without IRQ or I/O conflicts.
In most cases you will configure it as LPT2 278 IRQ5

About the OS, as far as I remember you don't have to do nothing special. Simply install hardware and try to print to the new LPT port.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

Thanks for the tip, Yizhar. I tried to do that but after setting the proper jumpers on the card and inserting into the system, the PC booted to the logon prompt. After logging in with admin rights the system stopped and did not verify the login. System hangs at this point. The BIOS screen shows the card installed and recognised OK. When I pulled the card back out, login was successful again. I know there is no fault with the card. Any suggestions please?

What IRQ are you using for the new card? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I have set it to IRQ5 and 278 as suggested. I know there are no conflicts with these settings as Win NT shows them as free and there is no sound card which could use IRQ5
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back