Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add second name to a 2003 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magzy

MIS
Aug 19, 2003
GB
Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to add a second name to a Windows 2003 server on a network. Basically, we have some old applications that are hard coded to go to a certain server name. That server was swapped out (as these apps were written off as obsolete) but a year later people suddenly need access to them again. As the original server is long gone, I was hoping to just add the old name to the new server (the shares etc are all named identically).

Thanks lots,

Magz.

I guess it depends on how these obsolete apps resolve the name to an ip. Do they use netbios, dns, or wins? if they use nebios i dont think you can add a second netbios name to a server but i could be wrong. if they use dns you can add a cname record for old server name or you can add a hostA record for the old server name ive done it both ways. if they use wins i think you can a new wins record for the old server name but its been a long time since i used wins and recall that for a fact.

RoadKi11

You might also be able to enter the server name at the client in either the Hosts of LMhosts file if you have the correct node setting then these should be checked before a broadcast or a DNS lookup.

that should be Hosts or LMhosts file.

This will only work if you don't have hundreds of clients.

Thanks, I'll try that for the PC clients (fortunately only a few). Anyone have any odea how I would do a similar thing on the Macs (I know this is probably the wrong forum for this)?

If you're running a DNS server, cant you just add the servernames and ip address to DNS as static names/ip's?

That is an option i was looking back to roadkills question about the clients using Netbios to locate the servername.

THanks for all these replies. The PCs now see the server using either name via DNS. The MACs, however, are none the wiser. Does anyone know how Macs resolve names on a Windows network?

I'm under the impression that OSX Macs use DNS to resolve names.

You could try the Mac forum forum604

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back