Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add/Remove software for Fedora

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamsf

Technical User
Jul 27, 2003
US
I hv just installed Fedora 9 on my laptop.
The laptop boot up just fine, but it does not have named or dhcp, etc. As I want the laptop to act as a DNS server and DHCP server, I would like to install the packages.

I clicked on Add/Remove Software, trying to install from the Fedora DVD, but I got the following error:

"Problem connecting to a software source
Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again"

What is the problem here? Anyone can help? Thanks a lot...

How do I install software in Fedora? (How to use yum or an RPM)

the following may also be of interest:

Upgrading Fedora using yum

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

after first installation fedora repositories get already setup to install/update from the Internet.

This means that if you want to install again from DVD (which I do not recommend as F9 DVD has older software than current repositories) you will need to go into /etc/yum.repos.d/ and re-create the correct file for DVD installations.

Otherwise make sure that yum has acces to the internet and let the machine install from fresh repositories.

QatQat

--------------------------------------
If I could have sex each time I reboot my server, I would definitely prefer Windoz over Linux!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back