Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add/Remove Programs opens notepad

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLWilts

Programmer
Feb 12, 2001
GB
Hi,

I want to add a program to my PC, but whenever I open add/remove programs I get the message:

"Cannot open the res://sp3res.dll/default.hta file. Make sure the disk is in the drive specified"

I am sure that this has to do with an HTA app not running/being available. Any help gratefully received.

Hiya,

Sondra, I looked at, and tried all of the possible solutions in your post, but to no avail.

CW Shredder came back and said that it was totally clean.

Am still wrestling with it, so any other help gratefully received.

Sussed it - albeit with some head scratching!

I found 3 copies of mshta.exe on the PC - 2 of which has the notepad icon (c:\winnt\system32 & c:\winnt\system32\dllcache). The third looked OK, c:\winnt\servicepackfiles\i386, so I over wrote the others with that one and it works fine now - weird or what? But at least it works.

Several approaches, although this at its root is likely a consequence in most cases of SP4:

1. Start, Run, REGSVR32 APPWIZ.CPL
Test.

2. Click Start, Run, and copy and paste the line below (it is case sensitive and all one line).
rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt

Choose 'Repair' and then reboot on completion.
Test.

3. Reinstall SP4 if installed.

4. Quote: "The problem may be caused by the registry values added by some spyware. The problem was resolved by installing the latest Ad-Aware from the following websites and then
running this program to remove all spyware.

Other solutions to resolve "unexpected error on line 84"
=====================================

in-place upgrade
reinstall SP4

Best Regards,

Keith Rutledge, MCSE NT4/2000
Microsoft Online Support Engineer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back