Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add Remove/Programs in control panel does not launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

breaz25

MIS
Jun 17, 2003
US
Running w2k sp4 with all the critical updates. I go into the contol panel and try and launch add/remove programs and nothing happens? Any ideas or patches to fix this?

Thanks,

I had exactly the same problem with my server. The advice I was given was to reinstall over the top of the existing installation. As I had installed SP3 and the install disk was without SP I didn't do it, for fear of making things worse. In the end I dumped the server. Sorry, I know it's not the answer you were hoping for, but I wasted a good few days trying to solve it, and it worked out cheaper in time and money to rebuild.

Ran into this thing some time ago. I created a local admin user and logged in using this account, launched the add/remove programs from the control panel and everything worked fine after that.

I've had the same problem a couple of times in the past month. I fixed it by reinstalling W2000 over the top i.e repairing the existing installation. My installation disc is at SP2. I then had to install SP3 separately. I've had no problems with either installation since.

This should fix your issue. From a command prompt, type the following one at a time;

regsvr32 mshtml.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll -i
regsvr32 shell32.dll -i
regsvr32 browseui.dll
regsvr32 mmefxe.ocx

You may need to reboot.

Jim

Jim Webber
Network Administrator MCSE CNA

I had the exact same problem. Here is how I fixed it:

click Start -> Run -> CMD <enter>

from a DOS prompt, type: