Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADD/REMOVE MISSING 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

killowhat

Technical User
Dec 11, 2002
US
well I went to my add remove programs today and they are all gone.
it is blank. How do I restore them?

You may have deleted the reeference to the things in there (stored in the registry)

Have you been playing with the registry?? Don't lie. I can tell :)

Most programs come with an unsitall option in the start menu group anyway. Try them out.

NO I HAVENT. but there are the children. found somting installed on my toolbar, my toolbar, i think, went to add/ remove to remove it but couldnt it was blank, empty, nada , nothing. Ran spybot and found about 20 spybots. How can i get add/remove programs back.

Pearl, try System File Checker and see if it turns up anything. Start>Run>SFC

Jim

well unfortunately when i restarted got the blue screen of death, error; msqsrv32. now boot disk will not get me past the blue screen.

shutdown, restart. finally got back in safe mode running norton av.found msqsrv on symantec site it is nothing to be concerned with for now. still trying to figure out what the heck happened. suspect KAZAA again, it was the last program used last night. will post back shortly. Pearl needs a break.

question, how can i find out what happened. sfc will probably not work since i had to use boot disk.

Are you running in Windows now? Is you virus software up to date? I'd run a full scan first. SFC should still work. I don't see what the boot disk would have to do with it if you are able to boot into Windows. Are you saying you can't boot up at all without a boot disk?

Jim

well i dont know yet. finally got past the msqsrv32 error and into safe mode. I havent got back to desktop yet. thought while I was in safe mode I would do a full system scan with NAV and it is updated. still waiting for it to finish scanning. I am using my ole Compaq 5185 to comminucate

scan finished no viruses, cannot get out of safe mode. i am using this pc now i am able to access the internet in safe mode. i keep geeting a display error but dont know what to do it gives no options.

well i got to the desktop and online, i have no clue how. last errors were ; there is a problem with display settings, the adapter type is incorrect. took several hours to get back to desktop. ever been scared to restart your pc, i am! i think everything is working but not sure. I am going to run every tool i have to try and find out what happened. will not restart for a while thats for sure. PEARL says i just a dumbass with an optical mouse and still cant type. SERIOUSLY i really do not want to restart this pc.

still have nothing in add/remove programs oh well here we go again. PEARL gave me one of those looks, you know.

Let us know your progress and all errors that you get. Run SFC. You could still have a virus and NAV isn't picking it up. Run Spybot and ad-Aware while you are at it. You might run one of the free online virus scanners such as AVG:

Jim

ran sfc repaired, setupx.dll , now i have no volume. but the speakers work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back