Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add on graphics card disables integrated graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenJMF

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2006
US
I currently have dual monitors plugged into a PCI graphics card and want to add a third but I can't get the integrated graphics card to enable without removing the PCI card. The VGA and DVI ports on the PCI card work great but I want to enable the integrated graphics card so I can add a third monitor. I've robbed a dual port PCI card from another computer and put in this one and I now have the option of having 4 monitors but this isn't a permanent solution. I'd rather enable the integrated graphics card so I don't have to purchase another card.
Any one know if this is possible.

You may be able to get it to work, but you need to go into the BIOS & check it out.
I have a feeling that you will not be able to have both at the same time. If the BIOS has automatically disabled the on-board graphics, you may not be able to overide this option.

Thanks for the suggestion. There is a setting in the BIOS for Primary Video Controller. I changed it from Auto to AGP but it had no affect.

Standard PCI graphics cards (not PCIx) will generally not function with onboard video, therefore the BIOS will automatically disable it. However, I have seen it done once before with hacked drivers. It depends on the motherboard and the video card.

So the short answer is, no.

Alchemy is easy with Perl!
s/lead/gold/g;

The setting you came across just tells the system to use that type of display controller first. I think you may have problems getting this to work as I said earlier & majorbiff says.

Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back