Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add new extension range

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenmetz

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2012
US
My rapidly expanding company has finally run up against the upper limit of our DID range. I need to add a new range of extensions without DID. The numbers will be reached by dialing our main number, then entering one of the new extensions, 6700-6799. I've done a little searching around and haven't found much helpful, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Tek-Tips to the rescue again!!!

Just program the phones with those numbers, that's all you have to do.

LUDN returns no unused numbers. I should have stated that in my first message. My bad.

Why don't you go into LD 117 and use the prompt INV GEN SETS. Log out and log back in later i.e. 1/2 hour or more and then use the command in LD 117 INV PRT SETS. Have a capture file going and this will print out all of the digital phones. Look for any phones that show up as unavailable. Check out those TN's to be sure that they are spare and NOT in use!.

You might find that you do have plenty of spare DN's and TN's available to use?.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Thanks Firebird, I've done that. All extensions are in use. We do have available TNs. Just out of DNs.

The next step is to look at the whole of the current numbering plan on the phone system. Just download my version of the Conversion Utility tool from and use all the worksheets for ACD,DNB,TNB and Network etc. There is a guide to explain on how to use it.

You need to go through all the DN's looking for a unused ones. You might have for example spare routes, ACD or CDN queues that aren't in use or an excess of Call Park DN's that aren't needed anymore. You might have a number of analogue sets that are unused.

You need to spend time going through the data. I'm certain that there will be a number of spare DN's in your system.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Since these new extensions will be Non-DID, please be sure to understand the ramifications of your CLID tables, and what number these extensions will send when dialing out to the world. You could easily wind up sending fictitious numbers as caller id if your current CLID table assignment appends the DN.

Also think about how these extensions will dial 911 (or your applicable country ESA code)and how they will appear... Lots of good info avail if you search for it on these forums.

Above all - test it before depending on it. Then TEST IT AGAIN....just to be sure.

Good Luck,

30n30w

If you are truly out of DN's you need to look really hard at your numbering plan and see what you can change to accomodate these new ext's. If you are using a lot of 1 and 2 digit access codes that will eat up your numbering plan in a hurry. For example you are trying to use 6700 to 6799. You may be using 6 as an access code and you may very well need to change that to a 4 digit # also. Do a DNB on 6 and see what you get.

Seems unlikely you are completely out of DN's, but it happens. As stated above, you will need to research your dialing plan and come up with alternatives. Such as locate all your NON-DID's and see if maybe you can free that range and convert the NON-DIDs to 7-Digits. This will in-turn free up DN's to convert to DID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back