Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add Item for Inventory

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawnBoy

MIS
Mar 12, 2003
Just got Inventory services running (ZFD4.01) and it's very nice, but I'd like to know what user profiles are on which machine.

In other words, I'd like a list of every user account on a given PC. Anybody know how I can do this?

I don't know of anything is ZENworks that can do this. You do have a few options you can try to gather this info.

You could try creating a custom inventory scan to gather and list the directories found under the "Documents and Settings" directories. Not sure how to set this one up my self off hand, would need to fiddle with inventory settings to figure it out (not exectly somthing many people are looking to do).

You could also try just a simple DIR of the directory with the out put directed to a file. This will tell you all the user profiles, but it won't do user accounts.

You can use the NET USERS command to list all of the user accounts in the local SAM database. Direct the output to a file. This will not tell you about profiles however.

Now you can run both to get both the user accounts and the user profiles. With the data being written to a text file, you then have somthing to look at to find the info you want.

These are windows internal commands, so they would only need a simple NAL object to run them, and can be done in a couple of ways. You can make two app objects that run the executable (not sure the text file redirect will work though), but it's two objects to take care of, not the way I would do it my self. Use the Distribution script function to run the commands after distribution.

Now the more difficult part, how do you get the data?

Well, I would script it my self. Write a script file that can parse through the two data files that get created, extract the desired data, then send the info to a syslog server.

Or you can search for a 3rd part tool. Look my self in answering this, and didn't find anything that didn't require Active Directory to be running.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back