Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add IPSI 8500

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktripp

MIS
Jul 23, 2001
US
I'm trying to add a second IPSI card to our 8500/CM5.2.1. Yes, I know that I still have a single server. Just trying to mitigate IPSI card failures as well as switch/network failures.

I have the second IPSI physically installed and have an IP on it, pingable. It's in a G650 cabinet/slot C1. But I can't seem to get it to recognized in the system. I can see it when doing a list config all, but can't see it in the GUI - ipsi version - query all.

I asked a Avaya tech, and he said it could be done. So either he was mis-informed, or I a missing a step.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Each IPSI needs to be in its own G650, you would need minimum (2) G540's (Cabinet A & Cabinet B), to do this.

Also, normally you would set up dedicated Control Networks, typically called "Control Betwork A" and "Control Network B", this is done under "Configure Server", and you assign ethernet interfaces to each CN, then give each it's own subnet.. You can also setup CN-C (Control Network C), if you need it. Dedicated control networks are used so the IPSI's are not subject to Denial Of Service (DOS) attacks, and the traffic is segregated from the Corporate LAN, etc.

You also have to enable IPSI duplication as well, once you setup the multiuple control networks. "Change sys dup", and enable IPSI duplication.

The when you do a "change ipsi 1", you should be able to administer a 2nd IPSI board, tell it the slot # and the IP address, etc.

Mitch

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

I have three cabinets. The 1st ipsi is in cab A slot 1. The ipsi that I installed is in Cab C slot 1. Hopefully this is ok.

Right now it appears that I only have one 'control' network setup.

SetIdenties
1.Services port Eth1
2.Internal RMB Port Eth2
3.Control Network A Eth0
4.Corporate lan Eth0
5.ProcessorEthernet Eth0

I did not see an option for a second control network.

I looked for the option for the duplication. It says it's not enabled. Perhaps not until the system sees the second control port.

Thanks,

change sys duplication", stroke it "yes" and save the form.

If you have an S8500B (as opposed to an S8510/Dell 1950), there was an option for a 2nd ethernet controler (Dual NIC card) which gives you 2 more LAN ports, so you can assign dedicated control networks, without that card, you may not be able to get it to work.

See "S8500B with Dual NIC"
or "S8500C"

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

page 47 of the above PDF shows the possible configurations with an S85XX main server. It can only support 1 control network, not 2, unless you are using it as an ESS server under and S87XX server.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

page 67 of the PDF shows the form for setting up both control networks subnets, you could try specifying the same subnet for both control networks. give it a try, if you don't have subnet is both fields, you won't be able to setup duplication/support multiple IPSI's per PN.

"change sys ipsi" is the form...

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

Thanks Mitch.

Yes, I had a typo. It is a S8510(Dell).

The issue is when I log into the web gui and goto configure server interfaces, it doesn't even list a second control network as an option.
It shows only eth0 as "Ethernet 0: Control Network A, Processor Ethernet (PE), Corporate LAN Interface"
The other ports are not configurable (Ethernet 1: Laptop Interface, Ethernet 2: Internal RMB Interface). I'm assuming then that what I'm trying to do may not even be possible.

Looks to be possible only if the S8510 is used as an ESS server off of a larger S87XX system, however, you could probably still have 2 IPSI's, just not on separate control networks.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

Ok. This not an ESS. This is actually a primary server with two LSP's off of it.

I'm not worried about having two control networks. I'm just looking to configure with both IPSI's active in a redundant setup.

I don't see any options for it to become a secondary.
list config control
list ipsi
disp ipser 1 (doesn't show option for primary/seconday)
cha sys dup - dup doesn't exist

Did you try "display system-parameters ipserver-interface"
and setup the "Primary" and "Secondary" Control Subnet Address?

We have an S8500B used as an ESS server, off an S8720, on the S8500B, the Ethernet 0 looks liek this: Control Network A, Processor Ethernet (PE), Corporate LAN Interface

and we have active/standby IPSIs in each PN...

display ipserver-interface 1
IP SERVER INTERFACE (IPSI) ADMINISTRATION - PORT NETWORK 1

IP Control? y Ignore Connectivity in Server Arbitration? n
Encryption? y Administer secondary ip server interface board? y

PRIMARY IPSI QoS AND ETHERNET SETTINGS
DHCP? n Use System Level Parameter Values? y
802.1p: 6
Subnet Mask: / Auto?
IP Address: 172.16.3.150
Gateway:

SECONDARY IPSI QoS AND ETHERNET SETTINGS
Subnet Mask: / Auto?
IP Address: 172.16.3.149
Gateway:

notice the 2 IPSI boards are in the same subnet, and not on a dedicated control network...

display system-parameters duplication
DUPLICATION RELATED SYSTEM PARAMETERS

Enable Operation of IPSI Duplication? y

FYI, We are running CM 5.2.1

from our main S8720, here is how the NIC usage is setup..

Select NIC Usage

Indicate how each ethernet port is to be used. You may accept the defaults. Ethernet ports may be used for multiple purposes, except for the port assigned to the laptop, which must be dedicated to only that purpose. Physical connections to the Ethernet ports must match these settings.

1. Server Duplication Link
(Default: Ethernet 0) Ethernet 0 Ethernet 1 Ethernet 2 Ethernet 3 Ethernet 4 Ethernet 5
2. Services Port
(Default: Ethernet 1) Ethernet 0 Ethernet 1 Ethernet 2 Ethernet 3 Ethernet 4 Ethernet 5 UNUSED
3. Control Network A
(Default: Ethernet 2) Ethernet 0 Ethernet 1 Ethernet 2 Ethernet 3 Ethernet 4 Ethernet 5 UNUSED
4. Control Network B
(Default: Ethernet 3) Ethernet 0 Ethernet 1 Ethernet 2 Ethernet 3 Ethernet 4 Ethernet 5 UNUSED
5. Corporate LAN
(Default: Ethernet 4) Ethernet 0 Ethernet 1 Ethernet 2 Ethernet 3 Ethernet 4 Ethernet 5 UNUSED
6. Processor Ethernet (PE)
(Default: Ethernet 4) Ethernet 0 Ethernet 1 Ethernet 2 Ethernet 3 Ethernet 4 Ethernet 5 UNUSED

Mitch

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

What you can't see from the above is this:

Server Duplication Link: Ethernet 2
Services Port: Ethernet 1
Control Network A: UNUSED
Control Network B: UNUSED
Corporate LAN: Ethernet 4
Processor Ethernet (PE): Ethernet 4

This is on an S8720, but I think if you have NO Control Network, the switch will be forced to use the Corporate LAN for the IPSI communications...

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

I'm running 5.2.1.
Now the primary ipsi is in cab a slot 1. The secondary I installed is in cab c slot 1 out of convenience.

It does show up in the list config all.

display system-parameters ipserver-interface
IP SERVER INTERFACE (IPSI) SYSTEM PARAMETERS

SERVER INFORMATION

Primary Control Subnet Address: 10.1.105.0
Secondary Control Subnet Address:

OPTIONS

Switch Identifier: A
IPSI Control of Port Networks: enabled
A-side IPSI Preference: enabled
IPSI Socket Sanity Timeout: 15

QoS PARAMETERS
DiffServ: 46

display ipserver-interface 1

IP Control? y Ignore Connectivity in Server Arbitration? n
Encryption? y

Subnet Mask: /24 Auto? y
IP Address: 10.1.105.15
Gateway: 10.1.105.1

This is what I see under config interfaces

Configure Interfaces
* = required fields

Ethernet 0: Control Network A, Processor Ethernet (PE), Corporate LAN Interface
IP address server1 (orpbx) x.x.x.x
Gateway x.x.x.x
Subnet mask x.x.x.x
Speed (Current speed : 100 Megabit full duplex) Unknown 10 Megabit half duplex 10 Megabit full duplex 100 Megabit half duplex 100 Megabit full duplex 1000 Megabit full duplex AUTO SENSE *
Enable VLAN 802.1q priority tagging

Ethernet 1: Laptop Interface
IP address server1 192.11.13.6
Subnet mask 255.255.255.252

Ethernet 2: Internal RMB Interface
IP address server1 192.11.13.1
Subnet mask 255.255.255.252

Communication Manager Messaging (CMM)
IP address of Messaging

and this?

display system-parameters duplication
DUPLICATION RELATED SYSTEM PARAMETERS

Enable Operation of IPSI Duplication? y

Enable IPSI duplication, and you should be able to administer a standby IPSI

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

Duplicatoin is not an available command. Is there a way to enable it?

"duplication" is an invalid entry; please press HELP
Command: display system-parameters

It does appear that I do have 4 ethernet ports

1. Services Port
(Default: Ethernet 1) Ethernet 1
2. Internal RMB Port Ethernet 2
3. Control Network A
(Default: Ethernet 0) Ethernet 0
4. Corporate LAN
5. Processor Ethernet (PE)

I wonder if some of it is because I don't have a dedicated ethernet to the control network vs corporate?

The S85XX is a simplex server, and it may not support duplication of the IPSIs. We have NO control network setup on CN-A or CN-B, and we have IPSI duplication working, but agai, we have an S8720 as a main server, not an S85XX.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

I think I may have found it.

For giggles, I was under 'change ipser 1' and changed the option 'ignore connectivity in server arbitration' to Y and it now showed an option for 'administrator secondary ip server interface board'. I also changed that to Y and it displayed the following:

change ipserver-interface 1 Page 1 of 1

IP Control? y Ignore Connectivity in Server Arbitration? y
Encryption? y Administer secondary ip server interface board? y

IP Address: 10.1.105.15
Gateway: 10.1.105.1

SECONDARY IPSI QoS AND ETHERNET SETTINGS
IP Address: ipsi-A01b
Gateway:

I guess now I'll move the Ipsi from Cab C slot 1 to Cab B slot 1 (uneditable location slot for secondary ipsi) (I'll have to move a digital pack). Then I hope all will be well.

I have to schedule a change for this. I'll keep it posted.

sure, looks like you figured it out. And yes, it really insists on putting the IPSIs in 01A01 and 01B01, you really must use those slots. Once you move the digital pack, you can add the IPSI at any time, even hot.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back