Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add Intelligence to Autocad

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmehta

Programmer
Sep 19, 2002
US
Hi,

I've been asked to come up with a strategy to adding intelligence to Autocad drawings. Basically the user wants the capability of clicking on certain images that is in an Autocad drawing and having that link take them to another application which is related to that image. For example, I would click on the image or block for a control valve on the Autocad Drawing, and it would take me to the PDF file where the spec sheet for the control valve is stored.

I've researched the net and came up with converting DWG files to GIF files and inserting the GIF into an HTML file, and then adding hotspots to the HTML file by using such tools as MapEdit. I am hesitant about using this method because I would have to maintain two files - the actual DWG file and then the HTML file with a GIF image of the DWG file and the hotspots.

Does anyone know of a better way to do this? Also, does anyone know if Voloview will support links or hotspots?

Thanks,
Nutan

Hi,

You can use Hyperlinks and attach them to certain objects and images but this doesn't work as well as Office hyperlink (they don't appear as blue, clickable text - you'll have to select the image, right-click somewhere else on the drawing area and select Hyperlink -> Open ........)

Objects with a hyperlink attached (CTRL + K - attach them), display a small hyperlink icon when they are scrolled over.

I hope this helps,

Renegade..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back