Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add indexes on the fly

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert04

MIS
Jan 20, 2004
US
Is it possible to add table indexes while the database is up and in use? Or should I wait until after hours, when everyone is off the db, to add the index?

Thx

YOu can add indexes on the fly. You would need to issue a CREATE INDEX SQL statement or use the Create Index Btrieve API call.
As far as waiting until everyone is off, it might be a faster if you do that because the index B+ Tree will be created when the index is added and if users are working with the data, that B+ Tree will take longer to create.

info@mirtheil.com
Custom VB and Btrieve development.
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Thanks

I was just going to modify the table using the Pervasive Control Center. Is that not a good way to go? Is it better to use the CREATE INDEX statement?

I would use the CREATE INDEX statement. It gives you a little more control and I've heard of some problems with the Table Designer although I haven't confirmed them myself.

info@mirtheil.com
Custom VB and Btrieve development.
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back