Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add increental info to existing data

Status
Not open for further replies.

MITTENCAT

MIS
Mar 22, 2016
GB
Hi,

i have a very large set of data (around 5million rows) that i need to make a change to, i can do it Excel with a small set of data but hoping someone can help me with automating this is Access as it would be a lot simpler due to the amount of data. I am not that much of an Access user.

Basically I need to add - 0 the end of each cell of data then - 1, - 2 etc. to the subsequent number until it gets to a new line then start all over again

EG

ABC123 - 0
ABC123 - 1
ABC123 - 2
DEF123 - 0
DEF123 - 1
DEF123 - 2

Wouldn't you rather have another Field (column) with the new data instead of modifying your existing data (which make it almost useless):

[pre]
FieldOne FieldTwo
ABC123 0
ABC123 1
ABC123 2
DEF123 0
DEF123 1
DEF123 2 [/pre]

And what is the Primary Key field in this table?

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

That would work, the primary field is field one, which ever one is at the top.

FieldOne with the values:
ABC123
ABC123
ABC123
DEF123
DEF123
DEF123

Cannot be a Primary Key field in your table. PK has to be unique for each record (and cannot be NULL)

You may want to look at this post: thread705-1763220 and use the logic to accomplish your task.

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Interesting.

OK, if you add a new field, just temporarily, that is an auto number field, then you could do this with an update query.

if the auto number / 2 = Int(auto number / 2) then the value is 1 else
if the auto number / 3 = Int(auto number / 3) then the value is 2 else
The Value is 0

You could also do this using a record set in VBA that would not require the auto number field using the same logic as above by just using a variable that increments each time you move to the next record.

Hope this helps.

There Are 10 Types Of People In The world:
Those That Understand BINARY And Those That DonÆt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back