Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

add hardware to running system

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashar

Technical User
Feb 28, 2000
GB
I have gotten RedHat Linux to install and run. I now want to add a modem and network card. Do I have to reinstall or is there an easier way ?<br>
<br>

No need to re-install - just add the hardware. May need to recompile your kernel so that it picks up the correct driver for your network card, but that's about it.<br>
<br>
If you want, you can plug your modem into one of your COM ports while the system is still up. Then use a program such as &quot;minicom&quot; to connect to the COM port. Type &quot;AT&quot;, you should see &quot;OK&quot;, and the modem is installed.<br>
<br>
Now you just need to set up PPP for Net access... Strongly suggest using something like &quot;kppp&quot; under KDE to do this, because it makes life a LOT easier :)<br>
<br>
Take a look at the relevant HOWTOs for more detailed info on the above. For modems, start off with the &quot;Serial-HOWTO&quot;.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps.

Could also go back into your setup program (type: <i>setup</i> at your <i>/</i> prompt) to instal the drivers for your NIC card :) <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= shared.freeservers.com/searchmaster.html>SearchMaster Interface...11-in-1</a><br>Wanting to learn Assembler; please e-mail me any tutorials or links for it that are useful to you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back