Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add Fields To Table With Data From Unrelated Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

staciann

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2006
US
Hi. I have an Access 2007 database that holds information on computer hardware, software, and user info for our IT department.

I have one form called frm_SoftwareInfoEntry based on tbl_Software. This form contains the following fields: SoftwareName, NumLicenses, SerialNumber.

The IT department will continuously be adding new types of software to this table.

I have another form called frm_CompInfo based on tbl_CompInfo. This form allows the IT dept to enter all hardware and user info into the table.

What I would like to have is a tab on frm_CompInfo that lists all the types of software available and allows the IT dept to check off the software installed on each computer. I then have a formula that will calculate the number of licenses in use compared to number of licenses available for each software program.

I'm assuming this will have to be a subform? Or is there a way that I can have a yes/no field automatically added to tbl_CompInfo when the IT department adds a new SoftwareName to frm_SoftwareInfoEntry?

I'd appreciate any ideas. Please let me know if you need further explanation of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Thanks,
Staci

Staci – Using Windows 7, Microsoft Office 2007 & Crystal Reports Version 10

What I would like to have is a tab on frm_CompInfo that lists all the types of software available and allows the IT dept to check off the software installed on each computer.

Check out the paired list boxes that Arvin Meyer and Doug Steele document in Access Solutions: Tips, Tricks, and Secrets from Microsoft Access MVPs. It's an excellent, user-friendly way to handle this, and works quite well in one of my applications.

I'd post the code, but I'm not sure if that's kosher with the two gentlemen. They are active on these forums, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back