Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add external devices to extra Smart 3200 controller on a DL380 G2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouisV

Technical User
Mar 6, 2003
NL
Hi,

We currently have a Proliant DL380 G2 running Windows Server 2003 with the internal drives connected to the onboard Smart Array 5i SCSI Controller. To the external port of this controller we have a Compaq 100 GB SDLT drive in an external enclosure connected. This works fine.

Now we want to add an external diskcabinet and a second external 100 GB SDLT drive to this system. So I added a Smart 3200 controller with two external ports to the system to connect the external diskcabinet and the extra SDLT drive each to it's own port. No matter how I connect the external devices, there is always one of them not working. Finally I even added a second Smart 3200 controller so I could connect the external diskcabinet and the extra SDLT drive each to it's own controller. Still one of the external devices won't work.

What am I doing wrong? Should I reconfigure this with smartstart? The external diskcabinet used to be connected to another server and worked fine there.
Any suggestion is welcome.
Thanks.

Louis (hardware newbie)

It appears that this problem was caused by 2 problems:
1) SCSI-ID (all Compaq SDLT drives default have SCSI-ID 6 and if a second SCSI-controller is added it also has ID 6)
2) According to Compaq an Array Controller has difficulties with SDLT drives. You should use a simple SCSI-controller instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back