Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

fs483

Technical User
Jul 7, 2002
CA
Hi,

Got an Asterisk running on Ubuntu and wanted to add 2 Linksys SPA942 phones. I got the phones to register and they are able to dial out to an outside line and to another extension however when other extensions dials the new phones, it rings busy. I tried running Asterisk in monitoring mode and don't even see anything appear when I dial the extensions of the new phones. I did all the changes in extensions.conf and sip.conf, are there any other files that need to be changed?

Thanks,
fs483

Phones themselves sometimes have dialplans. Browse to the phones and make sure the extensions you are dialing are allowed in it's dialplan.

Can each the Linksys phones call each other?

Download a softphone like X-Lite from Counterpath.com and try to call the phones.

When you go into Asterisk monitor mode, the more "v" you enter, the more verbose, so Asterisk -rvvvvv provides more information than Asterisk -rv

I figured it out. For some odd reason, the original installer only allowed extensions where the first digit must be 1 and the second digit was either 0,1,3,5,7. I just added whatever digits that corresponded to the extension I wanted. Any good books that you can recommend for Asterisk?

There are quite a few, and some of them free for download. Believe it or not, my first was Asterisk for Dummies. Very basic, but a good starter. Google and think you will find some good ones.
I found Trixbox without tears good for me.

Yeah I did google (always do before asking any questions online) but there are so many of them. I like feedbacks from people who actually read it and found it useful. Anything for Dummies are usual god starters but I do tend to find them too beginner for me. Do all the flavors of Asterisk work the same?

Usually the difference between distributions is the interface, GUI. FreePBX appears to be the most popular GUI to me. Trixbox appears to have the largest community forum, which is why I started there. Thousands of past forum threads and wiki's. I have a couple of downloadable books on our website if interested. Trixbox made Easy and one of the Asterisk books. Let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back