Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add drives to IBM x225 with RAID 1 (LSI 1030)

Status
Not open for further replies.

grmcgee1

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2008
US
Admitted newbie on this topic. I have an IBM x225 that arrived with two 18GB hotswap drives configured as RAID 1 (mirrored). Server has onboard LSI 1030 controller with no Servraid.

I successfully installed Windows Server 2003 on the RAID 1 array. Now I have four additional 18GB hotswap drives that I have added to the drive cage. What are my options for using these additional four drives?

When I boot Windows Server, it only sees the C: drive (RAID 1 array). If I hit CTRL-C during boot, the LSI utility starts, and I can see all six drives, but I have not attempted to make any drive configuration changes.

I would like to maintain the RAID 1 array for the OS and then add a RAID 5 data array for the additional four drives. However, it is my understanding that the LSI controller supports only one RAID array.

So, can I reconfigure all six drives into a RAID 5 array and use them as one big drive? If so, how do I use the LSI utility do do this? (Pointing me to some docs is fine -- I don't have any docs for this server.) It's ok if I have to reinstall Windows Server.

Alternatively, do you experts have other suggestions about how to add data storage capacity? I guess I could be happy with the RAID 1 for the OS, then adding an internal IDE drive or external USB drive, but I don't know what specs to buy nor do I have a good feel for the performance impacts of those options.

I have looked through the forums and FAQs and did not find much on this topic. Thanks for any suggestions and pointers to information sources.

Rick

The onboard LSI will limit you to only to mirroring and provides no RAID-5 capability (as you indicated). If you want to make use of the other drives, you can either;

1. Install an actual ServerRAID controller
2. Create a second mirror set consisting of the 4 drives (although you will lose 2)
3. Create an OS based raid-5 volume (not recommended on a production host)

HTH

I used to have an X225 at my old job. Yeah, as stated above, I would get a ServerRaid controller that is compatible with the X225 and create yourself a separate RAID 5 array just for your data, keeping the mirror for the OS only.

Here's a list of the supported controllers for your server. Don't be too hasty - not just any one will work. You may have to purchase a "vintage" controller if they're not sold.

I'd double check that your exact product-model number is compatible with the controller you pick before purchasing.

I had a 4LX and it worked just fine. The 6i was only supported on one particular machine and that's why I said to check carefully on compatibility. It's not just "throw it in a PCI slot and go".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back