Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add Cisco Router to Pix VPN Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

southside

Technical User
Feb 9, 2004
GB
Hi All,

Apologies but I am fine with Pix but new to Routers (strange but true).

I currently have a VPN link operational between two Pix 506e's. Due to DoS symptoms on one end of the VPN I need to install a router in front of the Pix. The other Pix has an ISP router in front of it at the moment.

Therefore:
Pix A -- VPN -- ISP Router -- Pix B
(VPN Pix A to B)
needs to be:

Pix A -- Router --ISP Router -- Pix B
(VPN Pix A to B)
If the Pix A has an IP of 1.1.1.1 (example) and this IP is used on the outside interface of the Router, what configuration would I need for the Router to allow the VPN tunnel to route through to the Pix on an Internal IP between the router and Pix.

Thanks in advance.

Adrian

My advice is this: Nearly all VPN solutions I've seen have pretty much been built around the PIX firewall being configured with a public address on its outside interface. Naturally your new router will need a public address too.

Typically when I've solutions like this, I request at least 2 public addresses - one for the router, one for the PIX outside interface. I configure the router's LAN interface with the 1st public address and the PIX's outside interface with the 2nd one. I configure the router's WAN interface (DSL. Frame Relay etc) with ipunnumbered (using the LAN interface as the source address). Following is a snapshot of a Cisco router config I did for an ADSL customer recently.

WSB-RO#sh run
Building configuration...

interface Ethernet0
ip address xx.xx.xx.xx 255.255.255.248
hold-queue 100 out
!
interface ATM0
no ip address
no atm ilmi-keepalive
pvc 0/38
encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer
dialer pool-member 1