Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADD and Multicast over WAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

svtlightning95

Technical User
Dec 8, 2011
US
Anyone have any luck getting multicast working over a multilink WAN connection?

Have SCCS on the clan connecting to a Cisco 6509, multicast over 230.0.0.25 (already changed to work with cisco). Using Sparse Mode. Multicasting works on every vlan on the internal network but doesn't work at the office over the WAN. Cisco 7200s on both ends of the multilink T1s with a Cisco 4948 at the remote side. Multicast routing has been enabled on all the routers.

I've been playing with RP stuff, trying rp-address and rp-candidate. No luck with candidate. With RP-Address I specify the 6509 as the rp and set all the other routers to use that rp. This gets multicast data to the other site but it is not stable, will only last about 3 minutes and go out and then come back after a few minutes and goes out. I am specifying the vlan gateway for the connection to the 7200 as the rp so this could be incorrect but that is the only way I have seen any multicast data over the WAN.

Any ideas? Seems like a simple enough setup just need to get it from one location to the other.

No advice. Been told this doesn't work...that the multicast only works in a LAN environment. This is as of NES CC6. In the middle of trying to upgrade to AACC 6.2, so not sure about it on that release.

Talk to the phone company, make sure the connection has the option to pass unicast and multicast as well as enabling it both ends on your network of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back