Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add Additional RLC Card to CS1000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihcc2uni

Technical User
Mar 26, 2007
US
I have an existing RLC ( Extended Digital Line Card (XDLC) slot) card and need to add a second one. Is this supported and if so, does anyone know the Load number to complete this or the steps to add/configure an additional card? Thanks in advance!

Of course it's supported. What's on the far end? 9115's or a 9150?

We plan to have two 9150's and also a couple 9115's. It isn't letting me view that link above, even when logged into Avaya. Our first card only has 9115 devices on it.

Google 555-8421-210, That is the document

I also don't believe you can have a mix of 9150 and 9115 for the same RLC. Never tried it though.

I was on the right path, I had that document already. I am at this point:

"For the host PBX to communicate properly with RLCs, you must configure each
RLC slot as an Extended Digital Line Card (XDLC) slot. Refer to the
documentation for your PBX to complete this procedure.
"

We have the second card physically installed, but it isn't accessible and doesn't ping. If we pull the first one out and replace with the second one, it works then, so I believe I need to configure the second slot to be active.

Each RLC has to have a unique IP Address. Do you have the Remote Gateway Configuration Manager installed on a PC so you can configure the card. You also need to build a set on the card for it to go active.

Yes, we have set unique IPs for both cards. One ends in .100 and other .101

We have the Remote Gateway Config Mgr installed. Whichever card is in the active slot, we can connect to and configure. But when we plug both in, we can only access whichever card is in the "live" slot.

That makes no sense. There is no "live" slot. All slots are active What kind of cabinet are you installing it in?

OK, so you are installing it in an IPE shelf where you have other cards. What slot is the current one in and what slot are you using for the new card? Is this a 16 or 32 port RLC? Single slot or double slot card?

First card is in slot 20-1-2 (working) and second slot is 20-1-1 (not working)

16 Port RLC

Both are single slot cards.

So what part of it doesn't work? I suppose you could have a bad slot but that would be highly unlikely. How did you set the IP, subnet ,and mask? Via the serial cable? When you stat that card slot what does it show?

We set the config via the serial port. It has a cable that has two ends, both serial but one has an Ethernet adapter on it. Do we need a another one of these cables for the second card or anything? We can't stat it right now since we can't get to it.

Each card has to have an ethernet connection so yes you need the cable for each card.

Would a cable like RLC Multi-I/O Cable-Enhanced (NTDR80xx) from page 13 of the link you posted earlier work for this?

We currently have RLC Multi-I/O Cable-Basic (NTDR79xx) installed.

Thanks for all your help on this!

I just read the description on that enhanced cable and yes, it should work. But I have never used that particular cable. You just wouldn't use some of the connectors.

It looks like the one port is for the ELAN and not the CLAN so I think we will need to go with one like we already have. Do you know how to link a port on the back side (labeled by letters) to the front side slots?

Not sure what you mean by linking port on the back to the front. The card slot is already wired to the back so you just plug in the cable to the back plane connector. For slot 1 it should be labeled B on the back plane. You don't need to connect the ELAN if you use that cable, just the CLAN which is for the customer network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back