Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add a table to a DDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

jad

Programmer
Apr 7, 1999
GB
I have a lot of tables created in a Btrieve database format, i have installed Pervasive PSQL 9 ...

can anyone tell me how to 'import' my old data, or to add the tables to a DDF so that i can access them through the pervasive database, rather than direct from the file?

Thanks

If the file definition is missing from the DDF file then you can try BtSearch at to help you analyze the structure and build the DDF files. Once you have the DDF files you can create an ODBC connection and extract your data or BtSearch will also export to CSV or dbase formats.

Gil

the trouble is that the files were created by our accounting package (TasBooks) and i don't have much clue as to the structure ...

i am on the server with the files, in fact the tables are in the same directory as the DDF files ... brand new database ...

I just want the database to pick up the files i've got.

Also, i created a table with the pervasive tools using the Pervasive PSQL Control center in the same directory, using the btrieve maintenance utility, but that failed to be added to the system.

is there no tool that comes with the server software that will allow me to do this? Do i have to pay for a seperate add on just to get the data, which is sitting on the disk in the correct format, to be recognised by the DDF files?

I was wondering about using the ActiveX control DDFAddTable, but am unsure how to do this, and whether this would help at all anyway.

Just to confirm your DDF files with your data you can take a look at BtSearch32. It will allow you to select one directory for your data and one for your DDF files.

Also you might copy the DDF files to where the data that you want to view is stored then use the Pervasive control panel to add the table to the list in the control panel.

Gil

Also you might copy the DDF files to where the data that you want to view is stored then use the Pervasive control panel to add the table to the list in the control panel.

how would i do this? i haven't found a way off adding existing tables yet, any help would be really appreciated.

Jon

After you open the control panel you should see an icon with Pervasive.SQL Engines. Double Click and you should see your computer which is hosting Pervasive V9. Double click again. Now you have Databases Engine, Databases Client. Double click databases Engine. You should see the Demodata icon. If you right-click and select New Database. Give it a name and navigate to the directory where your data and DDF files are located (Must be same directory). click Next and Finish and it should add the Icon with the name you assigned. Double click and it will open your tables.

Hope that helps.

Gil

Umm ... i don't have DDF files already, just btrieve tables, do i need a tool like btsearch in order to create them?

doesn't the database have any way of doing this itself?

doesn't the database have any way of doing this itself?
No, the database doesn't know the record structure of the Btrieve files. You (or the developer of the application) need to create the definitions within the DDFs.

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

As Mirtheil pointed out Btrieve files do not contain the record structure within the files. That is why the external DDF files are required. DDF files are in themeselves Btrieve files. These then contain the field structures so that ODBC or other 3-rd party can access your data.

And BtSearch32 will help you analyze the structure and build the DDF files.

Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back