Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add a PCI HSF D/F/V Speakerphone modem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

acuity

Programmer
Jun 28, 2002
US
When attempting to Add a PCI HSF D/F/V Speakerphone modem, Windows Me detects it as a Generic 56K D/F modem. The driver installed does not have Voice features. If I point to the driver on the installation CD, it allows only COM1 or COM2 (both used). What can I try?
Modem: Hawking Technology PN576V
Thanks

You have a few options:

1) move your serial ports to another COM port in BIOS (will probably still conflict).

2) disable your serial port(s) in BIOS (if you don't need them both).

3) install the driver from Hawking while running RegMon or saving your registry, installing, saving it again and comparing changes. They you may be able to hack the registry to put it on a different COM port.

4) install the Connexant driver instead.

Look for more help on comp.dcom.modems and
pansophic

PANSOPHIC,
Thanks for your response: but...

Option 1 - I need COM1 for my head mouse -- works only in Windows and I'm quadriplegic so I can't do anythiing without it.

Option 2 - doesn't help when COM2 is disabled. I can install the Hawking driver using COM2 but the modem doesn't work (it's an internal modem)

Option 3 - I don't know how to hack the register to do that.

Option 4 - The Generic driver dowsn't support voice or speakerphone features.

I think I need Windows to detect it correctly (not as Generic Soft 56K). A PCITREE dump shows the Generic modem - Why?

When you try option 2, are you disabling the COM port in BIOS, or are you just installing the modem on COM2? If you don't disable the COM port in BIOS, you will have an IRQ conflict.

For option 4, are you accepting the Windows Driver, or installing the one from Connexant? The Connexant web page claims voice capability (of course I don't have the modem to test with).

All of the Windows Generic Modem drivers only support data modes. In theory, fax modes should work as well, since it is just a few extra AT commands to support fax mode.

For that matter, you could do off-line voice support, but nothing interactive like a speakerphone. You definitely need a WAV device for that.

pansophic

No I'm not disabling COM2 in BIOS - in Device Manager. I need to work in Windows with the head mouse.

I haven't tried Conexant's driver with voice yet. I'll get and try it now.

If you do not disable the COM port in BIOS, the hardware will still respond. Device manager only changes whether or not Windows will let devices communicate with the hardware.

Basically, what is happening is that both the Modem and the UART associated with COM2 on the motherboard are both responding to any requests that come across the bus. So neither will be able to communicate.

Is there someone who can help you in the non-windows environment? All that they would have to do is press F2 or Del (probably) during the boot sequence. From there an on-board peripherals menu is common, where they allow you to configure IRQs and Addresses for the COM ports, the Parallel port and potentially some other devices that are on the motherboard.

Once that device is disabled and the configuration is saved, you never have to touch it again.

Still doesn't say much for Hawking Technologies though. I always thought that the reason WinModems were created was to make life easier. With all of the poor driver implementations that I've seen, I'd say that they have done the opposite.

Just occurred to me that you can take their name two ways...either they are really smart, like Stephen Hawking, or they are out for a quick buck, as in pawning technology.

pansophic

pansopic,
Success! I updated the driver to the Conexant Soft56 Data Fax Speakerphone by RSS 03/13/2000. The modem is on COM3 and appears to work except for the microphone which is plugged into the modem card. The mic jack on the sound card is being used for TV audio from my ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon video card … so I can’t use that. Shouldn’t the modem send sound from its own mic jack anyway? I’ve already tried replacing the Hawking PN576V modem card (I have two).
Thanks for your patience and help.
Jim Connor

acuity,

Some of the voice modems communicate over the bus for the audio out, and you can simply plug a mic directly into the modem. Others use the sound card for IO through cables, in which case you will need to give something up (TV or modem), unless you can install an AB switch for the 1/8" jack. That will be difficult for you to operate however.

In some of the USR documentation that I have read, they sometimes use a 4-wire cord from the modem to the sound card. Because all of the sound card inputs are the same, you may be able to take the 1/8" out jack on the modem and run the cord back inside the case to an AUX input on the sound card. I believe that someone builds a blank panel for the back of the PC that does just that, but can't find a link at the moment.

Does the modem work OK if you disconnect the TV inputs?

pansophic

I don't think so because if the TV is on when I place a call, the called party doesn't hear the TV.

acuity,

contact me off-list at s_p_y_k_eatlycos.com. I'd like to discuss this in more detail, but it can get messy over the newsgroup.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back