Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADC to link two Exchange 2000 systems How??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lottie246

Technical User
Apr 6, 2000
GB
We would like to set up two completely different systems but link them using ADC is this possible if so is ADC the best way also when we try to set up the connection presently we get the following error message The exchange server specified on the connection is not valid it is running on Win2000.

To clarify we want to share address books but keep the systems totally seperate.

Any help appreciated Cheers

Lottie

Make sure the Org names are different. Use INTER-Org Connection Agreements with the ADC. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Yes but does that mean we will be in the same system? we want the systems to be completely seperate not one being an org under the other. (please bear with me I am from a Novell background!)

I know it sounds odd for one company to want two totally seperate systems but in the past being under one system has caused untold grief (from a personnel point of view not technical)

My way would keep them seperate except for the address list which is what it sounds like you want. Dan

We want to be in seperate forests too! I know this is not the best option but I think we have found a work around by using a scripting programme to copy the address books across the two systems. Thanks for all your help and if anyone has a better idea unill MS come up with a way of doing this!

Also our e-mail addresses are slightly different the us head office is company.com and ours is companyeurope.com so that is how we get over that problem.

I already told you how to do it! This is the only way. And yes you will be in different forests.

"Make sure the Org names are different. Use INTER-Org Connection Agreements with the ADC."

You only get one ORG per forest so I thought I was explaining it good enough. Dan

Hey Dan,

I think I understand what you're saying. I'm in a similar position - One company, but we want to keep our small division's email system separate from the main one, only replicating directory information (as AD Contacts). However, both bits of the company have used the same ORG name - so what would happen if we tried an Inter-org connection agreement? Is there any way of re-naming one of the ORGs (ours I suppose as its smaller)? Thanks.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back