Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adaptec RAID controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0AOZ

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
GB
Using an Adaptec Serial ATA RAID controller 1210SA with to 80Gb Seagate drives, running XP Pro SP3 and Adaptec's Storage Manager Software.

In order to see how the Storage Manager Software would show a disk failure, I deliberately "broke" the mirrored RAID by disconnecting one of the drives, then switched on and booted the machine.

The Storage Manager software gave absolutely no indication that I could see, that the RAID was "damaged". The only indication being in the Adaptec BIOS info prior to booting Windows when it stated the RAID was "degraded".

Would I expect to see some sort of message in the Storage Manager software? Only having a BIOS message about the state of the RAID seems remarkably poor...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

The manual for the manager mentions an audible alarm on page 64 of this document, so I think you don't have something installed or set up correctly.

You're right - a RAID manager that doesn't squeal like a pig when something critical happens to one of the drives would be truly worthless.

I have the same issue with my server's built-in Nvidia RAID controller...there is no Windows interaction and you must reboot it to see the status of the RAID 1 array...sheesh! There is no add-in Windows utility available to the server either.

On the other hand, my 3Ware card emails me with reports of any RAID anomalies. Their 3Ware RAID Manager software does an excellent job of status & error reporting.

goombawaho, great link but further investigation on page 107 says: "...The alarm is disabled by default..." and also a series of things to do to make sure the beep is working. Roger, this might help you out.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back