Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adaptec 29160 and Acer Altos G610

Status
Not open for further replies.

nala1

Technical User
Nov 13, 2001
US
Installed the Adaptec 29160 SCSI Controller but SCSI Select will not load and I need to disable the BIOS since it is an additional SCSI controller. I am getting no where with ACER - complete morons. Does anyone know what I can do? Is it the BIOS being so old? Does anyone know if the PCI slots in the G610 are 2.1 or 2.2 compliant? I can't get straight answers from Acer. I am not getting backups as a result. Onboard SCSI channel A/B aren't working anymore.
HELP PLEASE!

The SCSISelect utility should work on older BIOS versions of the Adaptec 29160 controller. It sounds like the two SCSI BIOSes are conflicting with each other, causing the two controllers to stop working correctly.

Are you seeing any messages advertising the Adaptec 29160 during the BIOS hardware initialisation or a prompt to "Press <Ctrl><A> for SCSISelect (TM) Utility!" during boot?

If you have another computer without a SCSI controller, it may be worth installing the Adaptec 29160 controller in that briefly to check the card works okay. If you can access the SCSI Select utility using that machine, try disabling the BIOS and then re-install it in the Acer Altos machine.

According to page 1 in the Adaptec 29160 user guide, the controller is compatible with both 64-bit and 32-bit PCI slots, so most PCI based systems will allow you to try this test.

Adaptec user guide:

Additional documentation and an archive of Adaptec 29160 BIOS updates are available on Adaptec's website if you need them at:

Robert

Daily Atom IT Services

OMG you are a genious. WHY didn't I think to put in another machine? I've done that and disabled the scan; will insert in server tomorrow morning. Thank You So Much!

Robert -

Thanks for trying but that isn't the issue. I suspect either a BIOS update is needed or the slots on the board aren't 2.1/2.2 compliant and I've been unable to find out if that is the case. I know the card itself is good. Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Has this setup EVER WORKED or is this a new setup???

I'd pull the add-on SCSI card and verify functionality of the built-in. Then I'd disable the built-in and try the add-in card and verify functionality.

Then I'd think about getting a newer add-in card and not use the built-in (usually inferior) scsi controller. Use two adaptecs.

goombawaho -

The onboard scsi was used for the tape drive. There is an additional card (mylex) for the hard drive. The adaptec I am installing is an add-on. The adaptec card is good as I've tested that. The onboard scsi both channels, at this point are not working. I am working on upgrading the whole environment at this point as this current server is extremely old and outdated anyway (purchased in 2002!). I shouldn't have to mess around like this. An upgrade is in the works. Thanks

Here's a tangential thought. IF you're not getting backup and bad things were to happen - it could be your job on the line.

Better step on toes to get new equipment ordered or at least a reliable temporary backup solution so that you are not auditioning for the part of scapegoat.

I'll tell you that when bad things happen/data is lost, etc., lots of bosses won't stand up for you and will have to throw someone to the wolves. Just don't be that person. Get documentation that someone knew about the situation and that new equipment count not be ordered sooner.

I hate to be CYA, but depending on your environment, it might be very prudent.

We are working on a quote as we speak to get new equipment however in the meantime I have still having problems. I've got the Adaptec 29160 working (it is recognized and I can access SCSI Select) however now the tape drive isn't being recognized. I understand there are some settings on the card they may need to be disabled which I have done. Per Adaptec this i what I did: disabled the following: Initiate Wide Negotiation, SCSI Parity Option, SCSI Controller Int 13 Support, Domain Validation; on the device I have set "NO" on Enable Connection and Send Start Unit Command. I know it's a setting on the card that I need to change but I'm not sure which it is.
Thanks

goombawaho,
I couldn't agree with you more. If I was the OP, I would email and keep a copy of the email, to my boss and depending on the work environment, his/her boss. Then the OP can say he/she DID let the powers know what's happening, and the steps needed to rectify the situation. It also goes a long way in justifing the additonal hardware/software expenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back