Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD11 Motherboard - Reset button the only way to get video display

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalip12

Technical User
Jan 14, 2002
US
I have just put together a PC for my brother using AD11 mother board from First America Computer. Everything is okey except when I first power-up the PC, the display would not come on. I have to hit the reset button to get the display. My O/S windows 98. Here is the funny thing: There is a fan on this one chip which does not run, until after I hit the reset button to get the display. BIOS issue or what..I am stumped.

Dalip.

Abit has a similar problem when their KG7 board is housing a Netgear FA311 card. However, you mention that you are having issues with the fan as well and that is something you may want to look up in the manual. Some board manufacturers have multiple power adaptors for chip fans and some want a fan plugged into a certain one.(This is to ensure that you have a functional fan on the processor)

I don't know about the reliabilty of First America Mobo's as I've never heard of them but if you continue to have issues with the fan try another immediately. If it works all the time try removing all non-essential peripherals from the machine(sound, NIC, modem, MIDI) and unplug the IDE cables from the mobo. If you boot a few times with no problem you've taken the first step to knowing what your problem is.

Hope this helps

I do use the AD11 board in my own computer, and have used the board to set up other computers. I suppose if this were happening to me, I'd set the bios to reset, then turn the computer on, turn it off, and set the bios not to reset again. Also triple check the power and reset cables are going into the correct pins, I've seen some weird happenings when they've been mixed up.

Download the latest bios revision from and if that doesn't work, send the board back for a replacement. This is not a common occurance for FIC boards if you end up with a defective one, I've set up 3 computers with the AD11 and 3 more with the AZ11E, none with any problems so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back