Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD Sites and Services Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberwarrior101

IS-IT--Management
Nov 30, 2003
US
I have a Site that is consistantly creating Auto-Generated connections with 20 other sites. The problem is that it is on a Slow Wan Link. This is the only site that is Auto-Creating connections. I need to know how to disable this so that only selected sites will replicate with each other, basically how do you disable or turn off this autogeneration from this single site? Windows 2000 DC's

A site is defined by a well connected group of segments (10mb or better). Any time you have a WAN link involved, you should create a new site.

An active directory best practice is to NOT span WAN links in a sigle site.

So, if you are saying that you have a WAN connected DC within the same site, I would recommend creating a new site for this segment.

The purpose of AD site and services is to tell Active Directory how your network is physically connected.

-later

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

I should have been more specific. We have Multiple Sites as they are in different geographic locations. One of the Sites, which contains a single Domain Controller is auto-generating connections to all other sites. The problem is that replication traffic hits this site bad as it is a slow wan link. When we DELETE the autogenerated Sites, and specifiy which sites the server should connect to, it will continuously recreate the site connectors to the other sites. It connects to ALL other sites, not just a few. We try to delete, it comes back. We delete, and recreate manual connections, it recreates auto-generated connections. Another Netdesk engineer told me I should "stomp the ISTG". Not sure what he is referring to. We just want to stop the site from creating auto-generated connectors to all other "sites"..

I don't think you need to stop the autogeneration processes. Rather, you might want to check your INTER-SITE Trasnsport - IP settings.

This area controls your Site to Site replication traffic. It is within this area that you can specify the sites in which you want replication to occur. You will want to either edit the current Inter-Site link properties for this problematic site...or add a new one. You can also adjust the schedule for replication here to specify proper times for replication.

-later

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back