Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericwi

IS-IT--Management
Feb 19, 2002
SG
Hi all,

Recently, my company was acquired by another company and the IT dept from that company wants me to merge my AD with their AD. Besides doing a dcpromo on my server or domain-trusting thing , is there another way without affecting users in my AD server?

Please advice. Thanks

ericwi,

I think the easiest thing to do would be to establish a trust between the domains/forests and use Active Directory Migration Tool to migrate users. There are lots of tutorials on MSDN about migration.
Usually, migrating users is not the biggest challenge. You need to migrate mailboxes to a new company, check the group policies, if you have lots of file server / application servers make sure you double ACL resources, I’d enable SID history to avoid any permission issues. Really, there are lots of steps and planning to be done, but it’s always very interesting and a good experience to do it.

Regards,

ADMT link:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back