Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD 'novice', problems with file access when one DC taken down

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgcm

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2008
GB
We moved to AD last year after many, many years on an NT domain.

Though I'm not totally clueless, I'm no supremo either.

I've been doing some 'disaster recovery' testing, which involves me turning off one of my DC's (I have 2) and seeing what happens.

Users can still login (obviously being validated by the remaining DC), but users that are already logged in (who had their account details validated by the offline DC), can not access any network resources - unless they log off and log back in (to be validated by the remaining DC).

I know the answer is probably 'no', but does anyone know is there is a way to stop this from happening - in an idealistic world, if the DC you logged in via wasn't available anymore, Windows would go and ask another one to confirm your permissions.

That should not be happening.. Are both domain controllers global catalog servers? Are they both running DNS? If they are running DNS do your clients have both DCs set as their DNS servers, ie one as the preferred dns and the other as the alternate?

Paul
VCP4

RFC 2795 - The Infinite Monkey Protocol Suite (IMPS)

Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week

Does the problem occur regardless of which DC you bring down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back