Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD Migration to W2K3 Server from workgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefourthwall

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2002
US
Hello,

i searched the forum before posting, so if my question is redundant, i apologize for having missed this point in earlier posts.

Our organization has a number of remote sites where the pc's are setup as workgroup members and Novell is used for email and drive mappings.

In many of the sites, the pc's are used by more than one user, all sharing a common local username & password.

My thought has been to copy this profile over the Default User profile so that, after having been joined to the AD domain, every user with a new AD username will each see what they had before (desktop, etc.) but now will have some security as well.

Can you suggest a scripted way to copy the current local user's profile over the default user profile?

thanks,
thefourthwall

linney,

thanks for the links, i've had to be out of town and getting to your reply was delayed.

a question raised earlier this morning at the office: "do we even want to carry over the existing local user profile -- how about just starting as if it were a new PC with an 'empty' default user profile?"

i must admit i'm a bit torn: making a 'fresh start' is appealing to management while most of the IT folks want to make the change transparent for users by carrying over the current local user's profile to default user.

i'm soliciting your thoughts here, folks: let me know your opinions please.

thanks,

thefourthwall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back