Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD Integrated DNS and DHCP does not always work 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ankle

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2002
US
I have 2 Win 2003 Standard DCs: DC1 and DC2. I have DNS set up as AD integrated. DC1 is DNS server and is currently the DHCP server. DC2 is also DNS server. Replication appears to be working OK. I have setup a dedicated AD account to be used for DHCP. I have added both DC1 and DC2 to DnsUpdateProxy group. I have transferred FSMO roles from DC1 to DC2 because DC1 is going to be shut down soon.

Here are the problems.
- If I list DC1 first as the DNS server in DHCP scopes all is OK.
- If I list DC2 first and DC1 second in the scopes, I have DNS problems.
- If I only list DC2, then I have DNS problems.

The problems are that you cannot get to several Internet sites, including our email server which is located at another domain.

I have run DCDIAG and NETDIAG with no errors. I need to understand what the problem is as I plan to add another server, DC3 and then turn on DHCP on DC2 and as I said above then shutdown DC1.

I have read a lot of articles, but I just cannot pinpoint the problem. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks

Are you using DNS forwarders? Are they the same on both DC's? I dont use root hints, i use my ISP dns servers.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

Thank you so much. I thought I had looked at everything and matched the configuration, but I missed that one. I guess I thought that info would come from the original DNS server, DC1. I added that info on DC2 and now it is working as I expected.

I was looking at all the complicated solutions. Should have known it would be the simple fix. Those are the ones you overlook.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back