Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ad hoc WLAN not working as it should... most of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengbillar

Programmer
Jan 13, 2003
DE
Okay im trying to connect my desktop with a WLAN dongle to a notebook with a WLAN PC-Card.
Now i set the wlan up and all that, so far even without security to minimize the source of problems.
it does show as connected on both ends, too (signal strength: excellent)
However, most of the time, they arent able to transmit data. They are both on dynamic IP and when i try to have them ping each other, there is 90-100% loss. for some reason, there is a response once in a while, but its like something is blocking the communication. when i try to access the other pc with something like \\pcname i get "not found, please check spelling". the air distance is less than a meter, and no firewall (not even the windows one) is running on either. 2 or 3 times so far, i managed to get them "actually connected", sending data hence and forth etc. however i dont know what was differnet there, and why its not working now :S Im trying around for several days now, and so far, i have no clue why it sometimes is and sometimes isnt working..

any ideas? theres also (apparently) no other wlan running in range, so that cant be it either..

If they're both set to dynamic then where will they get their IPs from? You mention only a desktop and a notebook, and assuming there's no server or AP lurking anywhere, I'd have thought you'll need to assign Static IPs (in the same range) to both computers.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

idk how they do it but they both end up with one in the end.
currently its 169.254.y.x and a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 on both, they do get assigned when both are on and in range.. (both y and x vary on both, however, i had it work with this configuration already as well...) i also tried the usual 169.192.0.1 and .2 fixed, but that didnt work out either

What type of WiFi (A,B, or G)? You realize that 2.4 gig appliances (Microwave, Cordless Phones, etc.), will interfere with 211/B.

Yes its a B connection.. so.. what can i do? put my phone away as far as possible? :S

okay, i have a different pc-card now for my notebook, so they both support G now (and presumably use that) but now i have a different problem: while its no longer a problem to get a connection per se, im now getting the "Wireless network connection is now connected" messege roughly every 5 seconds. copying data between the PCs will result in a "network abc is no longer available" messege after a few seconds. so.. hm.. what can i do about stability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back