Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD Group Policy won't Change System Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

bones5876

IS-IT--Management
Sep 8, 2002
AU
I have a windows 2000 domain and use group policy to control all the settings on the windows 2000 clients. I can get all the settings to work including home page redirection and folder rediretion.

The one thing I can't get working is getting the group policy to turn of system services. For example I want to turn off the messenger service to stop the kids at the school net sending messages to each other, but no matter what I try this one setting will not apply to the workstations. Any help or idea would be greatly appreciated.

Have you set the GPO to disable the Messenger Service (mmc: Computer Configuration> Windows Settings>Security Settings>System Services)? If so, are all of your pc's in one OU or spread out to different OU's? If they are all in one OU, apply the GPO to that OU, if not, apply it at the domain or site level. You must then go to Properties of the GPO and add the workstations to the list on the security tab and select "Apply Group Policy" so that the GPO will be applied to the pc's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back