Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD Export

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterleo

IS-IT--Management
Mar 10, 2003
I do now know if this is possible with VBscript, but it seems like it could work. I am attempting to rebuild my domain controller. It is the only DC in the forest. The DC has some issues that I believe will only be solved with a rebuild. The only thing I can think of is a script to export the AD info then import to a new DC. I think a VBscript could do this, but I am not sure of this. I am not asking to have the script written for me, i would just like some input from the experts.

Thanks,

Leo

no chance, well rephrase, i am sure one could right something to do the task but if it was me and it was my task i would ask for 3 months to script something

look for a tool from MS, or be more specific about what parts of AD you to back up and then restore.

good luck

mrmovie, thanks for the response. What I would like to do is dcpromo and set up my AD the way it was before and then import users and computers. I do not want to remove the workstations from the AD and re-add them when I am finished. Like I said earlier, I do not know if this is even possible, so bear with me.

Thanks,

Leo

You might want to post the issues you are having. I would post in the Windows 2000 or 2003 threads (depending on the OS) explaining what symptoms your DC is having. Also post any error codes and descriptions from the Event logs. There are a lot of people that can assist with cleaning up your DC without having to rebuild.

I would set up a second DC (a PC would work here), DCPROMO it, sync it, hand over all control (very important step) and then take down your original DC, reload it, DCPROMO, hand over all control to the rebuild and then demote the second one and remove it from your domain. Can be done in about 4 hours.

This will keep you up and running, eliminate any restores or programming, and be transparent to your users.

Afterwards, I would invenst in a 1U server (say a Dell 1850) and bring it online. Running only one AD controller is not a good idea.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back