Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD DNS Issue (Missing GLUE Records)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanoirocks

IS-IT--Management
Oct 18, 2005
Hi all, does anyone know where the "GLUE" records reside for the _msdc folder.

Using DNSLINT I'm getting the following errors.
Note in my forward lookup zone I have all the A records for these DC's. The reverse zone has all pointer records as well, so there is no issue there. I also have a globalNamesZone and have the appropriate CNAMES in there.

Any help would be appreciated as I can't find anything on this. Thanks in advance

Disregard some of the naming conventions as I changed them before posting.

Alias (CNAME) and glue (A) records for forest GUIDs from server:
CNAME: GUID1._msdcs.local.com
Alias: server1.local.com
Glue: Unknown

CNAME: GUID2._msdcs.local.com
Alias: server2.local.com

CNAME: GUID3._msdcs.local.com
Alias: server3.local.com

Total number of CNAME records found on this server: 3

Total number of glue (A) records this server could not find: 3

Glue (A) records are missing for the following CNAME records:
server2.local.com
server1.local.com
server3.local.com

Sorry I can't help with the glue side of things but what happens if you do an ipconfig /registerdns on each of the servers? by rights that should re-register those servers onto the DNS servers and resolve any issues.

I would also perhaps look at removing the offending records from the DNS server and also have a look at the DNS event logs just to see if there are any pointers in there.

Generally speaking Windows DNS is fairly straight forward with regards to the setup and it working for the internal side of things, it's when you start adding multiple zones that things start getting interesting.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back