Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD causing Win 7 issues. Log Off & CMD not confining to rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopnDude

IS-IT--Management
Oct 25, 2007
US
This is probably an easy fix, but I'm pounding my head over it.
DC's on Server 08
PC's on Win 7

I have for a specific user "Command Prompt" is disabled.
I too have "Log off" removed through AD.

For some reason, even w/ the DNS's set properly, the "Log off" is NOT removed from the startup screen. And even more annoying is that when the PC starts up and log's into the user it displays a CMD screen saying "CMD is disabled by the administrator, press any key to continue....." I double checked my settings, I DO NOT know why the CMD keeps prompting me it's disabled, yes I know its disabled. And why will Windows 7 NOT remove the "Log off" button from the start menu as AD is setup to remove this!

Any help trying to resolve these would be great!

Additional information: The other PC's using the same user (as of current) are running Windows XP. They do not display the "CMD is disabled" at log in, nor do they have the "Log off" on the start menu (this is removed all together=no shut down/log off/sleep/restart).

Another side note!

The XP machines load a ".MAN" remotely stored profile from the Server. Windows 7 doesn't use this style profile any more, or at least that I know of. I'm not sure if this could be causing any issue or not. But it still doesn't explain the two issues I'm having, as these are controlled through AD and not a .MAN profile.

Well, through editing the registry, I was able to remove Switch User and Lock PC from the Start Menu. I'm still stuck on removing "Log Off" from the start menu.

Not sure why, but Active Directory will not do this even though I have it set to remove it already.

Well, the XP .MAN Profile is not an issue. Created another user, that wasn't linked to the .MAN profile.

Same GPO
nhpac (.MAN user)
nhpac7 (not linked to .MAN profile)

Same result, "Log Off" not there.

HopNDude said:
I'm still stuck on removing "Log Off" from the start menu.

HopNDude said:
"Log Off" not there.

Isn't that what you wanted?

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Haha, sorry, that was a typo.

Same result, "Log Off" not removed.

GPO > User Config > Policies > Administrative Template > Start Menu and Taskbar

Remove and prevent access to the Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate commands "Enabled"
Remove Log Off from the start menu "Enabled"

And still, in Windows 7 "Log Off" remains. But in Windows XP it doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back