Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD backup Timestamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

twayd

MIS
May 5, 2008
US
Hey All-

Just wondering if there was a way, and if so how, to determine when the last time an AD backup was performed.

Thanks!!

I looked all over for a way to do it, but I haven't found an obvious way. When AD is backed up using the Windows Backup API, it will update the dSASignature attribute on the domain root object, but that attribute is stored as an Octet String and contains other information. I couldn't find a way to extract interesting information from it.

The good news is that AD is backed up every time a System State backup is performed on one of your domain controllers. So, if you have a backup solution in place, check for which job backs up the System State. That will give you the information you want to know.

Good Luck!

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back