Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ad-Aware & Windows 2000 Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rokyrd

Technical User
Oct 7, 2002
US
I am trying to run Lavasoft's Ad-Aware 5.83 with Windows 2000 Pro with a wierd problem.

1. When I try to run when logged in as a user with administrator priviledges, I get "The instruction at blah-blah referenced memory at blah-blah. The memory could not be read".

2. When I try to run with same user account but using "run as" (Shift + right-click) the Administrator, it runs fine.

3. When I try to run when logged in as Administrator, I get the same error message above.

I have checked all the Local Security Policies and Account Policies against another computer running Win 2K and same version of Ad-Aware. It works fine for all users on that box.

I even gone so far as switching the memory DIMMs from one box to the other with no luck.

Anyone have any ideas???

This is a known problem with NT-based OS's. There is a long thread in the Windows NT Workstation forum at this site that discusses this and the various causes. (Sorry, I don't have the thread number handy.) You may want to delete your user account, then recreate it and see if that helps.

James P. Cottingham

When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.
[tab][tab]Albert Einstein explaining his Theory of Relativity to a group of journalists.

I work at a company as Helpdesk Support. We have several hundred Windows 2000 Pro workstations. We have used AdAware on most of them and not once have we experienced the problem you describe. Either your OS load is bad, or you have bad memory installed. Maybe a BIOS update is needed? We run P3 & P4 Intel boards in Gateway machines. We have been loading this program for many months and not one problem.

Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back