Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD Application Mode - Viable option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curler

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2002
CA
We are a small company that has a network that currently consists of a Novell 6.0 server running an accounting application with about twenty attached XP workstations and several MAC systems that talk amongst themselves in the design department. All have internet access.

The Novell box is about to be replaced by a Windows 2003 Standard server. My question is related to Active Directory Application Mode. Are their reasons I shouldn't or can't use that instead of setting up a domain?

A recent problem at another site where the Domain Controller was effectively out of action for four days highlighted the problems of not having a backup DC. It seems to me that it is an easier option to administer if I just stick with an Application Mode installation.

What do you think?

I don't see how ADAM helps you at all.

If you don't want to create a domain, you could just use a Windows 2003 server as a file server in a workgroup by creating local users on the clients and server.

But at the end of the day you still have a single-point of failure and no advantages of AD. It's not that expensive anymore to arrange some backup hardware or VMs.

Because I'm familiar with the way the users could be set up in groups to control access to folders, I thought it would be an easier way to administer.

I thought it would also be easier to administer a backup server without installing the domain.

ADAM is used for directory enabled applications, not for give groups and users access to folders. Use a windows Active Directory domain infrastructure, use 2 domain controllers at a minimum for fault tolerance.

Paul
MCSE 2003
MCSA 2003
MCITP Enterprise Administrator

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

>Because I'm familiar with the way the users could be set up >in groups to control access to folders, I thought it would >be an easier way to administer.

ADAM is just a LDAP directory. Active Directory is LDAP directory plus a lot more (main point ADAM is missing is authentication).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back