Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD and DNS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipesnab

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2002
GB
Hi,

I am getting an error where the computer sids etc arn't replicating between the DC's, thus when I try and logon to a random machine on my network it sometimes gives me an error like the computer account has been locked out etc when it hasn't. If I then log on locally and disjoin and rejoin the domain and reboot it then allows me to log back onto the network.

I presume this may be a problem with my DNS setup..

Do I need DNS running for Active directory to work properly. Should I reinstall DNS to resolve the problem. Any suggestions.

event ID error: "The redirector was unable to initialize security context or query context attributes. "

From my limited experience, though you don't necessarily NEED DNS to run Active Directory, it is highly recommended that you DO run DNS for Active Directory to work best.

I'm sorry, but that is absolutely wrong, you need DNS to run Active Directory..if you don't have DNS, you dont have AD.IF you have problems with DNS, you will have it also with AD. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

When I brought up my first AD domain (three weeks ago) It fought me tooth and nail until I got DNS right. I must agree with koquito, no dns no AD.

Thanks guys I managed to solve the problem using event viewer:

I saw that there were errors with time replication and as win 2000 kerebos uses the computer time as part of its security logon procedure, I knew it had to be a problem with DNS. We had just installed CHECK POINT FP3 so we had changed the dns settings on the DC to point to the ISP DNS server during our tests which was generating the errors. Changed its DNS settings back to its own IP address and seems to be working again.

Cheers.

thank you koquito and wb5vrd for the clear up. That just proves how limited my experience is. In any event, I'll have to go back to the book where I read that statement since I most likely misunderstood it.

We can only learn from our mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back