Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD and DNS HELP! EMERGENCY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetroMan

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
CA
Hi everyone,

I have just installed Win2K Server on a Dell Server, it is the master of the Active Directory, and all the client machines are win2K pro, and the IP range is from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.255 and we have a Cisco 827 adsl router serving as out net access (address:192.168.0.5), and every machine is going to have a fixed IP address.

MY QUESTION IS::::::::

I want the client machines to get all net and mail access directly through the Cisco (the gateway/router), and I have no idea on how to configure any zone thingies in the DNS on the actual server to tell the server to send all Internet requests out through the router!!! I am just a beginner at this, so please HELP ME!!!! I don't know anything!!!!

Thanks VERY much!!
Metroman

If you have no specific need to have static IP addresses for your users, might I suggest that you use DHCP. You can enter the DNS server that you want the workstation to use in the setup along with the gateway address. If you need the machines to have a static IP, then you will have to go to each machine manually an enter the server IP address under the DNS tab, and the Gateway address under that tab. The computers will then know where to route to.
Hope that helped.

Shawn

TCP/IP Properties/Manual Configure

or

DHCP/DNS

Configure your DHCP to point to the address of your router/gateway. So when your workstation send a request for address it will be updated with the DNS information.

1367.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back