Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD and DHCP issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbryii

Vendor
Jul 24, 2011
US
I volunteer at my place of worship and we are trying to get the entire network unified and simplified. So that there is no longer a mess of different logins for the computers in the facility we are setting up an active directory server. But in my research I feel like I may have hit a potential roadblock. Currently the WiFi is open to the people who manage the facility. But in the future we plan on adding additional access points and creating a guest network for those who are attending for worship. I was going to set up windows to handle the DHCP but after doing some research I see that i would need a CAL for every user/device on the network. That could be at times around 1500 people. But they would be there 1 day. I don’t think we want to spend the money for that many CAL’s. Do I have any other options? Right now the router is handling the DHCP but I think if we have 1500 people trying to get an IP the router will choke.

Kbryii
Alcatel-Lucent Certified Field Expert

Well, my first thought is for 1500 people you need a class B network for your DHCP. That would give you about 65,000 IP addresses, instead of a class C which would give you 253. I'd probably set it up on a 10.0.0.0/255.255.0.0 or something like that for the WiFi. Keeping in mind, there will be some inherent connection issues with that many people using your wireless access points.

I don't know why IP addresses would require CALS.

I would keep the wifi segregated from the AD network, for security, personally. Or, if management needs WiFi, have a separate wifi for management, and one for guests.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back